MARINATED SMELTS WITH GRAPEFRUIT JUICE AND FENNEL SEEDS. PORK RIND CONFIT IN WALNUT OIL, GINGER EMULSION
October 11, 2021
Recipe by Chef Stéphane Modat (Best Chef in Quebec 2019, chef of Le Clan restaurant in Quebec City), inspired by the aromatic profile of junmai Blend 001 sake - 2018 Tanaka 1789 X Chartier, Miyagi, Japan.
(Photo: Frédéric Laroche).
- 1 kilo of fresh smelts
- 1 tsp. fine salt
- juice and zest of 2 pink grapefruits
- 1 tsp. crushed fennel seeds
- 1 pork rind cooked in stock and cooled
- 3 tbsp. walnut oil
- 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. mustard
- 125ml vegetable oil
STEP BY STEP
- Using a microplane, remove the peel from both grapefruits
- Squeeze the juice out of the grapefruits and add the salt and zest. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Remove the heads and viscera from the smelts, rinse them in cold water and dry them completely.
- Separate the fillets from the fish by hand
- Place them in a wide rimmed dish and pour the grapefruit juice mixture over them.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 8 hours.
- Put the diced pork rind in a frying pan, pour in the walnut oil, heat gently with a lid on, and season with salt.
- Make the fresh ginger mayonnaise
- Place the egg and mustard in a bowl, season with salt and emulsify with the oil, set aside
- To assemble the plate, drain the smelt fillets and place them on a plate
- Add a few dots of ginger emulsion. Finish with a few sunflower leaves and diced pork rind
- Glaze with a few drops of walnut oil